Monday, 6 September 2010

Casey is still here

Joaquin Phoenis prepares to go on stage in Miami
Sala Grande gave a standing ovation to Casey Affleck (Robert Ford in 2008 Jesse James film) before and after the first showing of his strangely compelling 'I'm Still Here'. Written & directed by Affleck & Joaquin Phoenix, it presents a documentary of Phoenix attempts to leave the world of actor & become a hip hop performer. More to follow on this sad, funny, interesting & clever movie.

3 comments:

  1. Are all the films at the festival documentaries or are those the only ones you've seen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like this is the trend. Doesn't bode well for screenwriters. So far these are the only ones I've managed to get to that interested my, otherwise I'd spend every waking minute in the theatre. Am hoping to see Ben Affleck's 'The Town'tomorrow & have been invited to a new Columbian animation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The selection of films seems to have deteriorated every year since you started going to Venice. There used to be at least one that sounded worth watching - or that I'd even heard of. I'm not that keen on arty/worthy documentary-type films; I much prefer fantasy/sci-fi, as you know, or at least a really good storyline.

    ReplyDelete