Greek director Alexandros Avranas treats this harrowing story to stunning effect, in my view. I'll publish a longer blog later, when I can rely on my internet connection lasting longer than 4 minutes, but for the time being lets give due credit to Avranas.
Thankfully devoid of the endlessly moving steadicam shots we seem to find everywhere these days, he resorts to almost no camera movement letting the actressess (in this case) move in and out of shot. I found this both refreshing and essential to the focus of the story. The young girls give an excellent performance remaining almost expressionless, even more so in close-up.
It doesn't take a psychologist to work out what's going on behind the doors of this oddly emotionless family - even when the daughter, who is celebrating (in a very muted way) her 11th birthday, calmly and quietly throws herself off the balcony to her death.
Back with more on this movie shortly.
Monday, 2 September 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment