This is a film that takes over the senses from the very first frame. In fact Jonathan Glazer's film 'Under the Skin' does just that so you need to pay attention.
I've more analysis on this one, especially the soundtrack, which seemed to drive one or two of the audience to abandon their seats for the sunshine. From the outset we find a naked Ms Johansson stripping a dead girl and then dressing herself in the clothing before visiting a shopping centre to buy makeup and other clothing. She's helped aong the way by a guy on a high-powered motorcycle whose job appears to be cleaning up after Ms S whose sexual desires vary from faces to handss to bodies.
The fact that there was Scottish money in this production meant a hefty dose of Glaswegian accents - if they weren't then I apologise, but I understood more by translating the Italian subtitles than listening to the soundtrack. What is clear is that Ms S is up to no good and her inability to eat or drink without vomiting clearly says 'alien' in my book. It's only at the end that we see her true form.
The countryside is wild, wet and simply stunning. Coupled with the soundtrack that screeches and gnaws away at your very soul.
I'd be interested to hear how others interpret this film, unless they've read the book by Michael Faber, because two or three conversations I overheard made me think I'd been watching a different movie.
Wednesday, 4 September 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment